Saturday, May 30, 2009

They're Just Humoring Me!

Thank goodness Danny's a good sport and the kids are still young...it gives me the freedom to experiment!

We are developing our CentsAbly Green workshop for BeCentsAble and doing a lot of hands on research.

We started by trying out several products from Shaklee and found their Basic H and Scour Off to be excellent and low cost in addition to being all natural. It only costs $.03 to make a bottle of cleaner from the concentrate Basic H vs $.30 per bottle we were paying for vinegar and water solution! Plus, it works VERY WELL and smells good :)

Next we made our own laundry detergent! I know - it sounds crazy but read on!

We both read The Simple Dollar (the author, Trent, is from the midwest and recently published a book - he's very resourceful!) and last week he posted a tutorial on making your own liquid laundry detergent for $.01-$.02 per use! That's compared to the lowest price we could find of $.17 per use with a low end detergent.

We make a 5-gallon bucket in about 10 mins and have tested it on a variety of stains (blood, chocolate, mud, grass stain, berry stain - seriously, these kids are messy!) and it works just as well as the other stuff at a phenomenal price and it's healthier for you and the environment. Guess What? it can be used on HE machines too. HE washing detergents are made to work with less water and formulated to suds less. The homemade detergent doesn't suds at all so it's no problem.

Now, we diverge from family experiments to my own personal experiments. Danny has't done this one yet.

I have been using baking soda and apple cider vinegar to wash and condition my hair. Way too out there for you? I understand. But, if you're game, try it out one day when you don't have anything planned - I LOVE IT! It's been 5 days now and my hair is fine, it doesn't smell like vinegar, it's not greasy or dry or frizzy or ... it's just fine, for pennies and I don't have to worry about build-up.

Here's the process:

1 TBSP of Baking Soda to 1 C warm water, pour over your hair making sure it gets down to the scalp, rinse well
1 TBSP of ACV to 1 C wamr water, pour over your hair, comb with fingers and let sit for 30-60 seconds, rinse.

The last major change we've made is to our choice of DW detergent. We have a truy horrible dishwasher and the water stains, detergent residue were really bad! We bought an eco-friendly dtergent from CostCo (their Kirlkand brand) for HALF the price of the same size box of Cascade and were blown away by how well it works! It's been about a month now and the dishes are actually cleaner, with no residue and no water spots! It's really kind of unbelievable. It was $5.67 for a 128 oz box vs nearly $10 for the Cascade.

And now the BIG LEAP, for the girls...guys, you've been warned - just stop reading right here

I've personally been using these for a couple of months and have ordered this and...NOTE: I was a HUGE skeptic but we got them for free to try out for the workshop so I did...I'm a complete convert. There were 5 others from the BeCentsAble team who tried them and we ALL (yes 100% agreement) love them and have sworn off the traditional method.

0 comments: